Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It's finally May!

May is here!! April honestly felt like the longest month for Jarod and I, between most of the sleepless night during the week, the long days at work and the doctor offices by the time we would reach the end of the week we felt like 2 months had passed. April was very trying and right at the very end, last Wednesday the 28th I ended up with oral surgery.

Things went from bad to worse quickly and I was told it needed to come our right away, the infection had spread into my jaw and was advancing with the chance of getting into my blood stream which could be very dangerous. Due to the level of infection the periodontist warned me that most I would be very difficult to numb completely and then needed to actually cut a portion of my jaw out and put in a bone graph to replace it. So I went straight back and we bagan the 1 hour procedure while I was awake. They did a pretty good job of getting me numb though I really wasn't it that bad of pain until the numbness wore off later Wednesday afternoon.

I went to work Thursday and Friday and because I needed to drive I was unable to take any pain killers other than Advil. I still can't eat much but at least have upgraded to pasta and potatoes from soup :)

Jarod's felt very poor all last week as well the long week of round 2 was so difficult for his body to over come it was Friday before we was doing any better the nausea. Marcy came up on Wednesday to help us with all this which was a blessing, as Cleo said it's a good thing Marcy is coming up there you guys are like the blind leading the blind!

The weekend was really nice for both of us! My Mom came into town and we watched the Kentucky Derby Saturday and she left on Sunday and our neighbor's had a BBQ that we were able to attend. It was a beautiful warm day Sunday so it was a great day to be out.

Yesterday was Jarod's third week in round 2 so it was a short day. His levels from last week were down to 15 for AFP and 2 for HCG, Dr. Filip the oncologist thinks that this week the levels with both be normal so we only need 1 more round of chemo!!!!

That means that Jarod has 1 more long week starting next week then 2 Mondays and we are done with treatment! As soon as the levels go to normal he is considered in remission! We will have 2 years from the last treatment that we will be on pins and needles making sure it doesn't come back with follow up appointments but after two years if it hasn't returned most likely it won't the chances are less than 5%!

So.. May is HERE! May 24 is the last scheduled day for chemo and with today being May 4 that is only 20 more days! Although our lives will never be the same and the thought of them going back to "normal" is strange it will be so nice to at least have the treatment behind us so we can begin focusing on the blessing and moving forward.

1 comment:

  1. I know how hard this past couple months has been on you both...but you've carried on with so much grace. Life as you knew it before will never be the same, but a new "normal" will replace that and you will have a long, healthy wonderful life together. Love you both so much!!!

    ReplyDelete