Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Road to Recovery

After Jarod's hiccups in the hospital he improved over the night of the 4th and the doctors said he was strong enough to be released yesterday.

We arrived at the hotel around 12:00pm and got him up to the room. He thought he was up for eating a little bit so he a little chicken noodle soup and then laid down for a nap.

Later in the afternoon he wanted some mashed potatoes so I went to get him some, he had about 2 bites and they had too much flavor for him just introducing food back into his system.

He took his pain meds at 5:00pm and then another nap, around 7:30 he woke up hungry and wanted some more chicken noodle soup. I heated up about 1/2 cup of soup and Marcy and I sat with him as he ate. His body wasn't ready for food apparently because he vomited right after finishing it. With an incision extending from the top to the bottom of your torso this REALLY hurt and moved his pain up several degrees and also set back his healing by about 24 hours.

He didn't sleep much at all and we were up about every hour trying to make him more comfortable.

I was planning on calling Dr. Beck this morning to go over what had happened and after I took Jarod down to have a yogurt for breakfast he and Marcy sat while I came back to the room trying to get the doctors on the phone, as I was writing an email and calling - Dr. Beck reached me first.

He had promised to call when the pathology came in and he did. Jarod's full pathology on all the nodes and masses that were removed came back as necrotic tissue which means no more chemo!

Why I had him on the phone I asked him about Jarod's pain, and vomiting he told us to just do liquids and let him rest it will set him back about 24 hours and we don't want to push him into food as long as he is drinking to stay hydrated he should be Ok.

So Mom and I walked to get him more pain meds why Marcy spent a few hours with Jarod alone before leaving.

When we got back with the medication Marcy told Jarod she would see him on Thursday when she picks us up at the airport and I walked with her to get some food and get on the Indy bus to go to the airport. She got on a little after 2 without a problem and should be home this evening around 7.

I am so thankful for everything that Marcy and my Mom have done over the last week to help Jarod and I and we are all so so so tired, so so so ready to be home and move forward from this.

Jarod took a good nap and at 4:30 felt well enough to walk around the hotel floor before taking his meds again at 5:00pm.

He is still uncomfortable and in pain but I see a huge improvement from his pain level last night.

Hopefully tonight he will be able to get more sleep and tomorrow rest before our flight on Thursday.

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers, thank you to all of you who have helped with Georgia and traveling and work related items, now with a good path report hopefully we can began the road to recovery both physically and mentally.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jarod and Lindsey, I am thrilled to hear of the great path report. "THANK YOU SWEET JESUS"!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful blessing. I know it was hard for Marcy to leave you all, but knowing that Jarod was going to be ok, made it possible for her to leave much more at ease. I pray that each of you will be able to get a good nights rest tonight and wake up feeling like a new person tomorrow. As you know, each day will begin to get better and be less painful. Tomorrow will be a new and beautiful day. Take care,
    Love, Debra

    ReplyDelete